There have been outbreaks of dengue fever and Chikungunya virus in New Caledonia, so take precautions against mosquitoes, including using insect repellent; wearing long, loose fitting, light-colored clothing; and ensuring accommodations are insect-proof. Snorkelers and swimmers should wear reef shoes to guard against coral cuts, stonefish, and sea urchins. Scuba divers take note: the only hyperbaric (decompression) chamber in New Caledonia is located in Noumea. Hospital costs are exorbitant and visitors are urged to arrive with medical travel insurance. Town water is safe to drink, but water should be boiled in rural and outlying areas.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's