Noumea is an expensive town. Clothing costs are high (though not too bad compared with the fashions of Paris), as are taxi fares. Resort food and beverages are pricey. You can keep prices down by purchasing food and alcohol in supermarkets, relying on public transport, and seeking out inexpensive cafés and bars.
Currency and Exchange
ATMs—there are a few on Avenue de la Victoire/Henri Lafleur—are numerous in the city and accept most credit cards.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe