There are no special rules for behavior in Noumea. City clothing is casual, and skimpy beach clothing should be restricted to the beach and pools. Due to the underlying Kanak tensions, it is best to avoid discussing politics with locals of any ethnicity, or displaying flags that would appear to take any of the sides in the Kanak/French independence debate.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's