New Caledonia Travel Guide
French overseas territory New Caledonia is fairly isolated, separated by 620 miles of open water from its nearest mainland neighbor. Because of its isolation, it is both extremely diverse and home to a wide range of native species. New Caledonia is like a little piece of southern France in the pacific; everyone's a Francophone, but forty percent of the population is indigenous islanders. Cosmopolitan capital Noumea wouldn't look out of place in Europe, with its quaint bistros, expensive shops, and the requisite Chinatown. This urban center is a sharp contrast to the surrounding regions' more open landscape, which runs the gamut from rugged mountaintops to pine tree-lined white sand beaches.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best New Caledonia restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in New Caledonia
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1799 & up -- Fiji: 5-Night Upscale Getaway w/Air & Tours Travelscene
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore
Take a Dip in the World's Largest Lagoon. New Caledonia is home to the world's largest lagoon; it's approximately 9,267 square miles and is surrounded... Read more
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
In April, 2013, we traveled to Tahiti where we stayed on the islands of Moorea and Tahiti prior to boarding an Oceania cruise that sailed through French Polynesia and the Society Islands. Read more
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more
For some time I've been haunting these boards and butting into other people's threads, so i thought that it was high time that I had a go at working out my own itinerary for you all to take pot shots at. Read more