New Caledonia Travel Guide
French overseas territory New Caledonia is fairly isolated, separated by 620 miles of open water from its nearest mainland neighbor. Because of its isolation, it is both extremely diverse and home to a wide range of native species. New Caledonia is like a little piece of southern France in the pacific; everyone's a Francophone, but forty percent of the population is indigenous islanders. Cosmopolitan capital Noumea wouldn't look out of place in Europe, with its quaint bistros, expensive shops, and the requisite Chinatown. This urban center is a sharp contrast to the surrounding regions' more open landscape, which runs the gamut from rugged mountaintops to pine tree-lined white sand beaches.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best New Caledonia restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in New Caledonia
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand
Take a Dip in the World's Largest Lagoon. New Caledonia is home to the world's largest lagoon; it's approximately 9,267 square miles and is surrounded... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
August - September 2012
August 18 (Saturday): Newark to San Francisco to Sydney
My spouse and I flew United from Newark, NJ (EWR) to Sydney (SYD) via San Francisco (SFO). Read more
Last week we spent 5 days on Tasmania's beautiful west coast.
I last traveled on the Bass Strait ferry back in the 80s but Geoff and Taine had never taken the voyage so we decided it would be a fun bu Read more