Tuamotu Archipelago Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- French Phrases
Top Reasons to Visit Tuamotu
Divers' dream. Rangiroa's Tiputa Pass and Fakarava's Garuae Pass are teeming with "big fauna" as they say in diving circles. Would the "shark cave" appeal to you?
Endless lagoons. You'll never be short of somewhere to swim in these lagoons that even boast lagoons within lagoons. Rangiroa's Blue Lagoon is an idyllic picnic spot with cute black-tipped sharks keen to eat the leftovers.
The slow lane. No one rushes here and you won't either. Cycle the long flat roads, swim at deserted beaches, and snooze under palm trees. Go ahead, you're on vacation.
Finding religion. You'll discover churches in very remote places—like the abandoned village of Otepipi on Rangiroa and Tetamanu in Fakarava.
Stylish castaway. Escape from the world in private villas and retreats—just a few convivial folk, an oil lamps, and miles of beautiful beaches.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe