About 500 people live on the island in two villages: Omoa, which has a simple but beautiful Catholic church, and the even smaller Hanavave. Many of the inhabitants carry dramatic tattoos in the local tradition and proudly display them to visitors. The islanders are legendary for their generosity and friendship, and if necessary it's perhaps best to repay this generosity with gifts rather than cash.
Only 4.8 km (3 mi) of sea separate the villages but land access is by a 16-km (10-mi) narrow path that winds over the mountains. Walking this can take around four to five hours—getting around is not an easy option.
- Location: Fatu Hiva
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends
We had an awesome trip to Bora Bora last October. Read more
TAHITI MARCH 2012 TRIP REPORT
I’ve always wanted to go to Tahiti. Read more
My wife and I are looking for a shared charter or cabin rental aboard a boat exploring Tahiti or French Polynesia. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more