Tubuai had a role in the best-known naval mutiny, that aboard HMS Bounty in 1789. After master's mate Fletcher Christian seized the ship, setting Captain William Bligh adrift, the mutineers sailed the South Pacific looking for a place to hide, eventually ending up on Pitcairn Island. In the course of their travels they spent time in Tubuai, building Fort George, southeast of Taahuaia and around 3 km (2 mi) east of the wharf. Nothing remains of the original fort, but a replica has recently been built.
- Location: Tubuai
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Howdy! Read more
This trip report is all about Moorea in French Polynesia but I'll start first with a quick summary of my time in the USA (highlights only)
*FLIGHTS: NZ to SAN FRAN to WASHINGTON DC *
My fiance' and I are trying to get some recommendations for our honeymoon this fall. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more