Tubuai had a role in the best-known naval mutiny, that aboard HMS Bounty in 1789. After master's mate Fletcher Christian seized the ship, setting Captain William Bligh adrift, the mutineers sailed the South Pacific looking for a place to hide, eventually ending up on Pitcairn Island. In the course of their travels they spent time in Tubuai, building Fort George, southeast of Taahuaia and around 3 km (2 mi) east of the wharf. Nothing remains of the original fort, but a replica has recently been built.
- Location: Tubuai
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Howdy! Read more
This trip report is all about Moorea in French Polynesia but I'll start first with a quick summary of my time in the USA (highlights only)
*FLIGHTS: NZ to SAN FRAN to WASHINGTON DC *
My fiance' and I are trying to get some recommendations for our honeymoon this fall. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more