Getting Here & Around
Apart from being the most popular yachting center in French Polynesia, Raiatea is a favorite stopover for cruise ships, which dock right in town. The wharf area is only one block from the main street and most of the shopping and nearby attractions are within easy walking distance. The ferryboats, which run a regular service between the wharf and Tahaa, are close by and there are always eager tour operators ready to take visitors off to a number of activities.
The island is about 100 km (62 mi) around with comparatively safe driving on uncrowded, paved roads. Uturoa, the island's main town, has a population of about 5,000 and only a handful of streets, so it's fairly hard to get lost here.
Tahiti Tourisme Raiatea (Marina Station of Uturoa, Raiatea. 60–07–77. raiatea-info@Tahiti-tourisme.pf. Mon.–Fri. 8–4. Closed weekends unless a cruise ship is in port.)
Te Tepuna Association. Te Tepuna Association. 66–16–65. www.raiatea-vacances.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe