Snorkeling is easily the most popular activity for visitors and can be done almost anywhere in the lagoon's clean and colorful waters. While the coral itself is not nearly as vivid as in other places (there is a good deal of scientific and political argument over why), the marine life here is rich. Neither sharks nor anything threatening can be found in the reef, so it is safe. One caveat, though, is that well out into the lagoon—and in proximity to the outer reef or channels—currents can be strong.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe