Raiatea and Tahaa don't have beaches, so locals and tourists head out to the many motu, or islets for their sand and surf; quite a business has been built around transporting picnicking tourists to them. Some are not quite deserted islands, but they can give a feeling of being on one. Several companies specialize in half-day trips, including one that takes an outrigger-canoe-type craft across the vivid blue and green lagoon. A glass-bottom boat tour of the lagoon offers an easy way to take in the terrific diversity of marine life in what is basically an enormous outdoor aquarium.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Moorea: 5 Nts. at InterContinental Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends