Getting Here and Around
There's a daily round-trip flight between Pape'ete and Atuona that takes approximately 3½ hours. There's also a daily flight from Atuona to Nuku Hiva (about 35 minutes) and there are four weekly flights to Ua Huka, taking around an hour each, so air traffic between the islands is reasonable. Between-island flights sometimes involve a short stopover at another island to pick up or put down passengers. It's all pretty relaxed. There are also boats between the islands but these are normally chartered by negotiation with local owners. The islands don't have public transport but there are always bicycles for hire and horses. Some type of taxi service and vehicle rentals either with or without a driver are always an option.
Atuona Rent-a-Car (92-79-07 or 72-17-17.)
Hiva Oa Tourism Committee (Tahu'Uku Wharf, Atuona, Atuona, Hiva Oa. 92–78–93. www.marquises-hivaoa.org.pf.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's