Notre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral Review
This is the center of the Catholic community in Pape'ete, as well as a quiet and cool retreat from the hot and sticky city. Built in 1875 and restored in 1987, this buttercup-yellow church with a red roof and high steeple sits pretty in its own square just a block behind the market. The altar is always decorated with beautiful tropical flower arrangements and the church fills with light from a dozen stained-glass windows. Choirs sing in the upstairs area under a pitched timber ceiling adorned with cast-iron chandeliers.
- Address: Place Notre Dame at Rue Jeanne d'Arc, Pape'ete, Tahiti
- Hours: Daily, 8–5; Saturday mass 6pm.
- Location: Pape'ete
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi everyone, I was recently in Tahiti with my girlfriend for the first time this past February. Tahiti blew my mind!? However, I'm curi... Read more
Howdy! I am going to Tahiti with my lovely lady in late February and we want to hike and eat great French and Tahitian food. Any recommendatio... Read more