- Travel Tips
- French Phrases
Opunohu Bay Review
This is the westerly of the two outstanding bays on the north side of the island, and is actually the place where Captain James Cook dropped anchor in 1777. It is much less developed than Cook's Bay in terms of tourism and is said to be the locals' favorite for this very reason. Most of the Polynesian scenes from the 1984 movie Bounty, starring Mel Gibson, were filmed in the bay. Big cruise ships moor here, but because there is no port, passengers are taken ashore in tenders.
- Address: PK 14–21, counterclockwise, Coastal road, Moorea
- Location: North Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Howdy! Read more
This trip report is all about Moorea in French Polynesia but I'll start first with a quick summary of my time in the USA (highlights only)
*FLIGHTS: NZ to SAN FRAN to WASHINGTON DC *
My fiance' and I are trying to get some recommendations for our honeymoon this fall. Read more