- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Getting Here & Around
Maupiti is 315 km (196 mi) west of Tahiti and 40 km (25 mi) from Bora Bora. There are around seven flights a week from Pape'ete in the high season; some days there are no flights, others there are two. Flight time is about an hour direct and two hours with a stopover in Bora Bora or Raiatea. The Maupiti Express ferry operates between Bora Bora and Maupiti, leaving Bora Bora at 8:30 am Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. It returns the same day at 4 pm.
You can't rent cars on the island, but you can walk around the 10-km (6-mi) road in two to three hours, rent a bicycle from a pension, or take an organized island tour or lagoon excursion. You can even walk across the shallow lagoon from the main island to Motu Auira in the west. The island does not have a tourist office.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $6799 -- Moorea 6-Nt. Family Escape w/Air, Kids Stay Free — $6,799 Tahiti Legends
- $2350 -- Tahiti 5-Nights at Moorea Luxury Resort, w/Air — $2,350 Tahiti Legends
- $2059 -- Tahiti & Huahine 5-Nt. Island Escape w/Air — $2,059 Tahiti Legends
- $2345 & up -- Tahiti Weeklong Escapes w/Air, Breakfast — $2,345 Pleasant Holidays