Viti Levu Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If You Like
Viti Levu's magnificent landscapes are unmatched anywhere else. You can raft or kayak between the 300-foot-high black volcanic rock walls of "Fiji's Grand Canyon," Navua Gorge; climb the Sigatoka Sand Dunes, an archaeological treasure-trove; bird-watch and swim amid rain forest in the natural pools of Colo-I-Suva Forest Park. The gorge is accessible by well-organized day tours and the dunes and park have good visitor centers.
Fiji has yet to develop a surf culture in spite of its world-class breaks. This means little or no line-ups for big barrels at Frigates Passage, the world-class right-hander at Wilkes Passage, and long rides just about everywhere. Due to their size and the fact that many break over reefs, most of these waves are for intermediate and expert surfers only, and almost all are subject to the tides. You'll have to stay at Tavarua Island Resort off the west coast of Viti Levu in order to surf the epic left-handers Cloudbreak (featured in the movie Endless Summer 2) and Restaurants.
All the Amenities
The mainland is the place for those looking to have four restaurants within walking distance of multiple swimming pools, the largest range of facilities to keep children occupied, and 24-hour room service. Most of Viti Levu's four- and five-star hotels are within a two-hour drive of Nadi Airport. You'll find large, family-friendly resorts in the more pristine setting of the Mamanuca Islands, but none offer amenities quite on the scale of Denarau Island and the Coral Coast.
Roughly 40% of the island's population is Indo-Fijian and a far higher percentage of them makes up its chef pool. From fresh lobster and prawn to classic chicken and beef, you'll find restaurants throughout serving excellent curry platters complete with rice, roti, dhal soup, vegetable curry, papedum, and a diced vegetable chutney.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1799 & up -- Fiji: 5-Night Upscale Getaway w/Air & Tours Travelscene
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- $1999 & up -- Fiji 5-Star Escape w/Oceanview Room & Massages — $1,999 Outdoor Travel Adventures