- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bligh Water Shipping operates ferries transporting people and vehicles between most of Fiji's major destinations, including Savusavu, Taveuni, Lautoka, and Suva. From Lautoka, the trip takes 11.5 hours. From Natovi (north of Suva), it takes 6.5 hours. From Taveuni, the journey is about 5 hours. Prices vary widely according to passengers' age and in which class/cabin they travel, but even economy rates are not much cheaper than domestic airfares. Check the Web site for schedules.
Beachcomber Cruises traditionally operates service to Savusavu; however, at the time of research their ship was undergoing repairs and service was uncertain.
For a long but wonderfully scenic journey from Taveuni, Grace Shipping does an hour-long crossing departing from the Korean Wharf in Naqara to Buca Bay on the eastern end of Vanua Levu, followed by a 3½ hour bus over the lush, mountainous (and rough) Hibiscus Highway to Savusavu. The trip costs around $15. Inquire at Naqara on Taveuni or at the Savusavu bus station office (the bus from Savusavu to Taveuni is marked "Taveuni" and leaves around 8 am).
Beachcomber Cruises (www.beachcomberfiji.com.)
Bligh Water Shipping (Waterfront building, Main St., Savusavu, Vanua Levu. 331-8247. www.blighwatershipping.com.fj.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1999 & up -- Fiji 5-Star Escape w/Oceanview Room & Massages Outdoor Travel Adventures