Fiji is a culture of gift exchanges on important occasions: food, kava, necessities, and money (during prominent social events). The practice of tipping isn't customary, but you'll see locals tipping, and that little extra is welcome if you feel the service was exceptional. In restaurants, 10% of the bill is fine; in resorts, speak to the manager on duty—often there's a general fund you can contribute to if the overall service exceeded your expectations. If you would like to tip an individual staff member, again, best to speak to the manager first. Often, directly handing money to an employee can cause confusion or embarrassment, and there may be a more discreet way of rewarding the employee for his or her good service.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe