Buses make three round-trips on two routes weekdays, one covering the northern half of Taveuni, the other the southern half. The routes have one bus each on Sunday. The first leaves Lavena at 5:45 am and the last returns at 6:30 pm. A trip from one end of the island to the other over increasingly rough roads as you head south is two hours and 20 minutes one-way. At the stop in front of the supermarket in Naqara, you'll likely see locals loading supplies to send south. Plans to pave the southern end of the road were interrupted by the last coup.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand