Buses make three round-trips on two routes weekdays, one covering the northern half of Taveuni, the other the southern half. The routes have one bus each on Sunday. The first leaves Lavena at 5:45 am and the last returns at 6:30 pm. A trip from one end of the island to the other over increasingly rough roads as you head south is two hours and 20 minutes one-way. At the stop in front of the supermarket in Naqara, you'll likely see locals loading supplies to send south. Plans to pave the southern end of the road were interrupted by the last coup.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's