The Mamanucas' most famous sites include Supermarket, where divers encounter Grey reef, White tip reef, and Black tip reef sharks. At Gotham City, a large array of fish and brilliant soft corals reside among three pinnacles. You can also see parts of a crashed B26 Bomber and the swim-throughs and Clown fish garden of Plantation Pinnacle, patrolled by Grey reef sharks and occasional barracuda. There are sites for every level of experience and the fantastic visibility here (up to 50 meters) makes this a great place to learn. Nearly all Mamanuca Islands resorts have in-house operations or nearby companies they work with.
Subsurface Fiji. The Mamanucas' most popular dive company is Subsurface Fiji, a PADI-certified company that runs the operations at 15 resorts, including a few on Viti Levu. The company offers the full range of courses and nitrox is available. It visits 44 sites on the Malolo Barrier and outer barrier reefs. The diverse sites offer wreck dives, coral walls, swim-throughs, and a variety of coral, small and pelagic fish, and sharks. Prices range from $120 for one dive to $790 for a four-dive open-water course including equipment. 666-6738. www.subsurfacefiji.com.
Reef Safari. Reef Safari has bases at South Sea Island and Amunuca Island Resort on Tokoriki. A one-tank dive costs $110, a two-tank dive costs $205, and night dives cost $125. You can take an open-water course, including six dives, at South Sea Island for $600. www.reefsafari.com.fj.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1048* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,373 Air New Zealand