The Mooring Fish Cafe
The Mooring Fish Cafe Review
Two seafood-loving ladies have taken over a disused shipping container, applied some palm thatching to the roof, added tables shaded by blue umbrellas, and positioned it right in front of the gorgeous lagoon. Such is the Mooring Fish Cafe at the Avana Fishing Club on Avana Harbour, near the Muri lagoon and beach. Regulars flock here for the FOB (fresh off the boat) crumbed mahi mahi sandwich and the wonderful fruit smoothies and coconut drinks. There's a variety of other delicious fish sandwiches, made with locally baked Turkish bread and accompanied by homemade mayo and salad, including the "Tijuana Tuna," which has a kicky Cajun sauce. Also on the menu is ika mata, a raw fish salad specific to the Cook Islands.
- Address: Off Main Road, Avana, near Muri, Rarotonga
- Phone: 682/25553
- Location: Rarotonga
- No credit cards.
- Closed Sat. No dinner.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,331 Air New Zealand
Spent the last week of Dec in Rarotonga. Read more
My husband and I (late 20's) want to spend 2 weeks in the Pacific Islands this March, but can't decide on which islands. Read more
· News & Features
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more