Skimpy clothing and swimwear should be confined to the beach and resort pool areas. Topless and nude sunbathing is prohibited. Attending church is an important part of Cook Islands society, and the hymn-singing is wonderful. Visitors may attend church on Sundays, but should remain outside if they've only come to hear the singing. If you go into the church, it's polite to stay for the entire service. Women should have their shoulders covered and men need to wear shirts. All drivers need a Cook Islands license, which can be obtained from the police station in Avarua for NZ$10 on presentation of a driver's license from your home country.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's