Cook Islands Feature
Top Reasons to Go
Get Away From it All: Rarotonga, The Cook Islands' principal landmass, is a cool 700 miles southeast of Tahiti, its nearest neighbor.
Be Supportive, Economically: Tourism is the main industry on these teeny tiny islands, providing nearly 70 percent of the country's GDP.
Take Home a Truly Unique Souvenir: If you have a driver's license elsewhere, you can get one on the Cook Islands for just NZ$20.
Explore the Undersea: Get your PADI certification or forgo it for snorkeling in the crystal clear blue waters.
Gorge Yourself on Fruit: Produce is seasonal, and when it rains, it pours; avocados, mangoes, passion fruit, guava, and oranges are all sweet, plentiful, and cheap.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe