Several companies operate winery tours from Melbourne or the Yarra Valley itself. Tours generally include visits to four to five wineries and lunch. Wine Tours Victoria offers full-day tours departing from Melbourne and visiting four to five wineries and including lunch for A$147 per person. Yarra Valley Winery Tours runs public and private tours with flexible itineraries. Minibuses are the most common form of transport for most tours, but on weekends from 11 to 4 for A$100 per person Swans on Doongalla takes you out to four wineries along St. Huberts Road in a stretched horse-drawn carriage. A light lunch is served at Yering Farm winery. The meeting place is St. Huberts Winery. Rail enthusiasts can still enjoy the tracks even though passenger train services to Healesville ceased in 1980. You can travel along part of the track in railmotors (all-in-one motor and carriage) operated by the Yarra Valley Railway. The railmotors travel from Healesville through picturesque country, under bridges and through the historic TarraWarra brick tunnel and back again—a distance of about 8 km (5 mi) that takes about 45 minutes. Night Owl tours that include a buffet barbecue meal at the station are offered for groups of 12 or more.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe