Healesville Sanctuary Review
Come face-to-face with wedge-tailed eagles, grumpy wombats, nimble sugar gliders, and shy platypuses at Healesville Sanctuary, a lovely, leafy wildlife sanctuary that houses Australian wildlife. Don't miss the twice-daily Spirits of the Sky show, during which raptors and parrots fly close overhead. You can pat a dingo (Australia's wild dog) or feed an emu on a Magic Moments experience (A$10 extra). You can also book a behind-the-scenes tour of the animal hospital, where you may see wildlife recovering from injury or illness. Many native animals injured in the Black Saturday bushfires of 2009 were treated here. Take a break and refuel at the Sanctuary Harvest cafe, which serves delicious snacks and meals, many with a bush-tucker flavour.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe