Healesville Sanctuary Review
Come face-to-face with wedge-tailed eagles, grumpy wombats, nimble sugar gliders, and shy platypuses at Healesville Sanctuary, a lovely, leafy wildlife sanctuary that houses Australian wildlife. Don't miss the twice-daily Spirits of the Sky show, during which raptors and parrots fly close overhead. You can pat a dingo (Australia's wild dog) or feed an emu on a Magic Moments experience (A$10 extra). You can also book a behind-the-scenes tour of the animal hospital, where you may see wildlife recovering from injury or illness. Many native animals injured in the Black Saturday bushfires of 2009 were treated here. Take a break and refuel at the Sanctuary Harvest cafe, which serves delicious snacks and meals, many with a bush-tucker flavour.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations