Royal Mail Hotel
Royal Mail Hotel Review
Expansive views of the southern Grampians peaks are almost an unwelcome distraction from the extraordinary food plated up at the only hotel in the tiny town of Dunkeld, 64 km (40 mi) south of Halls Gap. The fare is all about seasonality, locality, and creativity, with chef Dan Hunter drawing on organic and heirloom produce from the hotel garden, local farms, and the wild. His 10-course degustation dinner menu (A$160), featuring such culinary wonders as southern rock lobster with prosciutto, sea lettuce, and quina, and eel and bone marrow with pickled vegetables, earned the hotel Restaurant of the Year in the Age Good Food Guide 2011. There is also an à la carte bistro ($$$), and an excellent bar menu ($). With fine accommodation on-site. too ($$–$$$), after dinner you can stroll to a spacious Mountain View or Garden View room, or apartment, all fitted with every modern convenience, or drive the 3 km (1.86 mi) to the hotel's historic Mt. Sturgeon farm, and sleep in a luxurious, period-furnished homestead bedroom or cozy stone cottage.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe