Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Royal Mail Hotel
Royal Mail Hotel Review
Expansive views of the southern Grampians peaks are almost an unwelcome distraction from the extraordinary food plated up at the only hotel in the tiny town of Dunkeld, 64 km (40 miles) south of Halls Gap. The menu changes daily depending on the harvest from the kitchen gardens, specializing in organic and heirloom vegetables. Other produce comes from local beehives, free-range laying hens, nearby orchards, and an olive grove. Chef Robin Wickens continues the tradition of culinary innovation to create tasting and degustation dinner menus from A$100. There is also an à la carte bistro ($$$), and an excellent bar menu ($). With fine accommodation on-site, too ($$$), after dinner you can stroll to a spacious Mountain View or Garden View room, or apartment, all fitted with every modern convenience, or drive the 3 km (2 miles) to the hotel's historic Mt. Sturgeon farm, and sleep in a luxurious, period-furnished homestead bedroom or cozy stone cottage.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's