Grampians National Park
Grampians National Park Review
Comprising four mountain ranges—Mt. Difficult, Mt. William, Serra, and Victoria—the Grampians National Park spills over 412,000 acres. Its rugged peaks, towering trees, web of waterfalls and creeks, and plethora of wildlife attract bushwalkers, rock climbers, and nature lovers. Spectacular wildflowers carpet the region in spring, while a number of significant Aboriginal rock-art sites make it an ideal place to learn about Victoria's indigenous history. The township of Halls Creek (population 300) is in the national park, and with its 10,000 tourist beds becomes quite a busy place in summer and at Easter. If you're staying in a self-catering accommodation, it is very wise to stock up on groceries and wine in the big towns of Ballarat, Arafat, Hamilton, or Horsham, since prices at the Halls Gap general store are inflated. One of the most picturesque drives in the park is the 60-km (37-km) stretch from Halls Gap to Dunkeld.
Heavy rain in early 2011 caused extensive damage to the park, including multiple landslides, and much of the park was closed. Walking tracks are steadily reopening as restoration works are completed.
Brambuk National Park & Cultural Centre. Owned and operated by Aboriginal people, the Brambuk National Park and Cultural Centre provides a unique living history of indigenous culture in this part of Victoria. Displays of artwork, weapons, clothes, and tools here provide a glimpse into the life of Koori people (Aboriginal people of southeastern Australia). A film screened in the Dreaming Theatre tells the Creation legends of the Grampians mountains. Educational programs, including boomerang throwing, painting, and didgeridoo workshops, are presented daily and there is a bushtucker discovery walk and tasting most days at 2 pm. Ceremonial music and dances are performed weekly during school holidays. Visitors can learn the significance of paintings at nearby Bunjil's Shelter on rock-art tours conducted on weekdays at 9:30 am. Grampians Tourist Rd., Halls Gap, VIC, 3381. 03/5361-4000. www.brambuk.com.au. Free; rock-art tours A$35, films and activities A$5, bushtucker walks A$9. Daily 9-5.
- Location: The Grampians
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore