Sovereign Hill Review
Sovereign Hill, built on the site of the Sovereign Hill Quartz Mining Company's mines, is a replica town that provides an authentic look at life, work, and play in this area during the gold rush. The main street features a hotel, blacksmith's shop, bakery, and post office—all perfectly preserved relics of their time. You can have your photo taken in period costumes, take a mineshaft tour, pan for gold (and find some), ride in a stagecoach, or head to the "lolly shop" to taste old-fashioned candy. You can return at night for "Blood on the Southern Cross," a 90-minute sound-and-light spectacular that tells the story of the Eureka uprising. Your entry ticket also gets you into the Gold Museum, across Bradshaw Street, which displays an extensive collection of nuggets from the Ballarat diggings.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe