Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Sovereign Hill Review
Built on the site of the former Sovereign Hill Quartz Mining Company's mines, this replica town provides an authentic look at life, work, and play during Ballarat's gold rush era. The main street features a hotel, blacksmith's shop, bakery, and post office—all perfectly preserved relics of their time. You can have your photo taken in period costumes, take a mineshaft tour, pan for gold (and find some), ride in a stagecoach, or head to the "lolly shop" to taste old-fashioned candy. Return at night for "Blood on the Southern Cross," a 90-minute sound-and-light spectacular that tells the story of the Eureka uprising. Your entry ticket also gets you into the Gold Museum, across Bradshaw Street, which displays an extensive collection of nuggets from the Ballarat diggings.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's