Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Central Deborah Gold Mine
Central Deborah Gold Mine Review
This historic mine, with a 1,665-foot shaft, yielded almost a ton of gold before it closed in 1954. Above ground you can pan for gold, see the old stamper battery, and climb up the poppet head, but the thrill of mining is felt below ground. Three underground tours explore different mine levels; on the Mine Experience you descend 200 feet to widened tunnels, while the Underground Adventure puts you another 78 feet deeper. Nine Levels of Darkness is the ultimate adventure here; over 4½ hours you sign on as a "new chum" and ride a tiny cage lift 748 feet down to dripping original tunnels, where you work a drill, "set" explosives, and climb ladders.
- Address: 76 Violet St., Bendigo, VIC 3550 | Map It
- Phone: 03/5443–8322
- Cost: A$14 (above ground area only); tours (including entry): Mine Experience A$28.50, Underground Adventure A$75, Nine Levels of Darkness A$199
- Hours: Daily 9–5 (last tour at 3:30)
- Website: www.central-deborah.com
- Location: Bendigo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's