Bendigo Gold. This company, based in the grounds of Ironbark Riding Centre, runs personalized gold-prospecting tours, as well as do-it-yourself gold-panning. A three-hour training session costs A$280 per person, including the rental of a detector that can be used for the rest of the day. It's A$380 per person for a full-day tour (which includes a the use of a detector). If you like the idea of striking it rich, you can also buy your own metal detector at the company's shop. 109 Watson St., White Hills, Bendigo, VIC, 3550. 03/5448–4140. www.bendigogold.com.au. A$280 training session; A$380 full day tour. Mon.–Sat. 8:30–5, Sun. by appointment.
Vintage Talking Tram. A good introduction to Bendigo is a tour aboard this hop-on, hop-off streetcar tour, which includes a taped commentary on the town's history. The half-hourly tram runs on an 8-km (5-mi) circuit between the Central Deborah Gold Mine and the Tram Museum, making six stops at historic sites. 03/5442–2821. www.bendigotramways.com. A$16. Daily 10–4:20.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's