Bendigo Goldfields Experieces. This company, based in the grounds of Ironbark Riding Centre, runs personalized gold-prospecting tours, as well as do-it-yourself gold-panning. The half- or full-day tours include a guide, prospecting permit, transport, food and drinks, and the use of a Minelab metal detector. It's A$350 for a full day (two people sharing one detector) or A$290 for half a day (two people). Gold panning (groups only) costs A$15 per person for an hour, including a 15-minute lesson, and you get to keep all the gold you find. If you like the idea of striking it rich, you can also buy your own metal detector at the company's shop. Lot 2, Watson St., Bendigo, Bendigo, VIC, 3550. 03/5448–4140. www.bendigogold.com.au. A$290 half day; A$350 full day (for two people). Mon.–Sat. 8:30–5, Sun. by appointment.
Vintage Talking Tram. A good introduction to Bendigo is a tour aboard the Vintage Talking Tram, which includes a taped commentary on the town's history. The half-hourly tram runs on its 8-km (5-mi) circuit between the Central Deborah Gold Mine and the Tram Museum, making five stops at historic sites. 03/5442–2821. www.bendigotramways.com. A$15. Daily 10–4:20.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe