Hiking and Walking
There are many excellent self-guided walks around Bendigo, and trails interconnect with the popular biking trails. You can do your own themed walk following in the gold-rush trail or admiring the city's grand old buildings. Popular bushland walks include One Tree Hill, Wildflower Drive, and the Old Tom Mine Walk in the Greater Bendigo National Park. The visitor center on Pall Mall has maps and brochures, as does their Web site.
Ironbark Riding Centre. Stroll or canter through the beautiful Ironstone Reserve and the Whipstick section of the Greater Bendigo National Park, only a few minutes from Bendigo, on trail rides from half an hour to a full day. Owner Phillip Gahan also gives riding lessons. Lot 2, Watson St., Bendigo, Bendigo, VIC, 3550. 03/5436-1565. www.bwc.com.au/ironbark. Rides from A$30 (half hour). Daily.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Hiking and Walking
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe