Gold was discovered in the Bendigo district in 1851, and the boom lasted well into the 1880s. The city's magnificent public buildings bear witness to the richness of its mines. Today Bendigo is a bustling, enterprising small city, with distinguished buildings lining both sides of Pall Mall in the city center. These include the Shamrock Hotel, General Post Office, and Law Courts, all majestic examples of late-Victorian architecture. Although these glorious relics of a golden age dominate the landscape, the city is far from a time warp. You'll also find a lively café and restaurant scene, 30 boutique wineries, some of which can be visited on organized winery tours, and one of the best regional art galleries in Australia.
Bendigo at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore