Biking and Walking
There are two fascinating biking and walking trails in and around Ballarat. The 55-km (34-mi) Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail showcases the historic Gold Country. The trail cuts through open paddocks, eucalypt forests, native grasslands, and bush alive with native birds and wildflowers, and passes the former Chinese settlement at Nintingbool.
The Yarrowee River Trail is a 17-km (10-mi) walking and biking trail that passes through bird-rich reserves, gold mining heritage sites, and wetlands as well as the city center. It connects with other trails along the four tributaries of the Yarrowee River. It passes through. Maps and information are available at the visitor center.
Bicycle Centre Ballarat. This company rents out sturdy hybrid bikes, for A$35 a day or A$120 for five days. 24 Armstrong St., Ballarat, VIC, 3350. 03/5334–4388. www.bicyclecentreballarat.com.au.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's