With crackling open fires in winter and a covered deck for summer grazing, this buzzy cottage café-cum-providore is the perfect place for a heartwarming casual lunch or afternoon tea. Savory offerings might include carrot and ginger soup, or 18-hour pork hock slow-braised in sticky soy caramel with creamy parsnip mash. And while the Dandenongs have a long tradition of Devonshire teas, this café is proudly scone-free; temptation here comes in the shape of mouthwatering cakes, all made with free-range eggs. You can also buy relishes, cheeses, and fresh Yarra Valley pasta to cook yourself—the smoked trout and goat cheese ravioli is scrumptious.
- Address: 376-378 Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd., Sassafras, VIC 3787
- Phone: 03/9755-2100
- Location: The Dandenong Ranges
- No dinner.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $3679 & up -- Australia: Outback Adventure w/Tours & Air Qantas Vacations
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore