Puffing Billy Review
This gleaming narrow-gauge steam train (there are actually five heritage steam engines), based 40 km (25 mi) from Healesville in the town of Belgrave, runs on a line originally built in the early 1900s to open up the Dandenong Ranges to 20th-century pioneers. Today riding the train is a great way to see the foothill landscapes. Daily trips between Belgrave and Emerald Lake pass through picturebook forests and over spectacular wooden trestle bridges. The 13-km (8-mi) trip takes an hour; it's another hour if you continue to the historic town of Gembrook. There are also lunch and dinner trips.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe