Day trips from Melbourne are run by local tour operators, including Gray Line. Tours of the Phillip Island Penguin Parade cost A$145 (penguins and koalas only) to A$186 (with an island tour and lunch). Wildlife Coast Cruises runs two-hour cruises from Cowes Jetty to the Nobbies and Seal Rocks, spending 20-30 minutes viewing the seal colony. Cruises run year-round except August to mid-September with varying frequency depending on the season. The company also runs half-day cruises to French Island October to March.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations