Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Penguin Parade Review
Phillip Island's main draw is the nightly parade of Little Penguins, also called Fairy Penguins, waddling from the sea to their burrows in nearby dunes. The parade of miniature penguins attracts onlookers year-round and crowds on summer weekends and holidays. There are several ways to view the Penguin Parade: general admission, with viewing from concrete bleachers; the Penguin Plus experience, which puts you on a smaller viewing platform that is closer to the action; the Guided Ranger Tour, which provides a spot on the sand with a ranger; and the VIP Tour, held in an elevated tower where up to 10 adults join the ranger who is narrating the action. The Ultimate Adventure Tour, for private groups, includes headphones and night-vision equipment and a secluded spot on a separate beach. The spectacle begins at around sunset each night; booking ahead is essential in summer and during public holidays. Wear closed shoes and warm clothing—even in summer—and rain protection gear. Make sure to arrive an hour before the tour begins. A good deal for visitors staying for a day is the 3 Park Pass, giving admission to the Penguin Parade, the Koala Conservation Centre, and Churchill Island.
- Address: 1019 Ventnor Rd, Summerlands, VIC 3922
- Phone: 03/5951–2800
- Cost: General admission A$22.60; Penguin Plus viewing platform A$44; VIP Tour A$69; Guided Ranger Tour A$69; Ultimate Adventure Tour A$80; Three Park Pass from A$38.40
- Hours: Daily
- Location: Phillip Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's