The area from the Murray River to the mountains of North-East Victoria are ideal for mountain bike enthusiasts.
Beechworth Cycle & Saws. Beechworth Cycle & Saws on Beechworth's main street rents for A$25 for half a day and A$35 for a full day. 17 Camp St., Beechworth, Beechworth, VIC, 3747. 03/5728–1402. 9–5:30 Mon. to Fri., 9–1 Sat., open Sun only during school holidays.
Murray to Mountains Rail Trail. The Murray to Mountains Rail Trail is a 98-km (61-mi) paved trail that travels from Wangaratta to Bright, with a branch line to Beechworth. Bicycle hire is available at Wangaratta, Beechworth, Bright, and Myrtleford. A trail map is available from the visitor centers at each of these towns, and can be downloaded from the trail Web site. 1800/991-044. www.murraytomountains.com.au.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe