The area from the Murray River to the mountains of North-East Victoria are ideal for mountain bike enthusiasts.
Beechworth Cycle & Saws. Rent a bicycle at this outlet on Beechworth's main street for A$25 for half a day and A$35 for a full day. 17 Camp St., Beechworth, VIC, 3747. 03/5728–1402. Mon.–Fri. 9–5:30, Sat. 9–1, open Sun only during school holidays.
Murray to Mountains Rail Trail. A 98 km (61 miles) paved trail stretches from Wangaratta to Bright, with a branch line to Beechworth and recent extensions to Milawa and Wandiligong. Bicycle rentals are available at Wangaratta, Beechworth, Bright, and Myrtleford. A trail map is available from the visitor centers at each of these towns, and can also be downloaded from the trail website. Albert Rd., Beechworth, VIC, 3747. 1800/801–065. www.murraytomountains.com.au.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's