Murray River Region Travel Guide
Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
From its birthplace in the folds of the Great Dividing Range in southern New South Wales, the Mighty Murray winds 2,574 km (1,596 mi) northwest and then south before it empties into Lake Alexandrina, south of Adelaide. But it is not as mighty as it once was. Despite flooding rains in early 2011, the decade-long drought which preceded the deluge, and many more years than that of reliance on—and exploitation of— the Murray and its tributaries by irrigators, river towns and the city of Adelaide threaten the river's health and the livelihoods of the people who rely on it.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Murray River Region restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Murray River Region
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1331* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $3099 & up -- Australia & New Zealand 4-City, 12-Night Trip Qantas Vacations
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $2099 & up -- 8-Night New Zealand & Australia Escape w/Tours — $2,099 Qantas Vacations
The English have Robin Hood, the Americans Jesse James. Australians have Ned Kelly, a working-class youth whose struggles against police injustice... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe