Murray River Region Travel Guide
Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Plan Your Murray River Region Vacation
From its birthplace in the folds of the Great Dividing Range in southern New South Wales, the Mighty Murray winds 2,574 km (1,596 mi) northwest and then south before it empties into Lake Alexandrina, south of Adelaide. But it is not as mighty as it once was. Despite flooding rains in early 2011, the decade-long drought which preceded the deluge, and many more years than that of reliance on—and exploitation of— the Murray and its tributaries by irrigators, river towns and the city of Adelaide threaten the river's health and the livelihoods of the people who rely on it.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Murray River Region restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Murray River Region
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's