Set aside at least a day for a drive down the peninsula, planning time for lunch and wine tasting, an afternoon clifftop walk along the bluffs, or even a game of golf at Cape Schanck, one of 30 golf courses in the region. In summer pack a swimsuit and sunscreen for impromptu ocean dips as you make your way around the peninsula's string of attractive beaches. Be careful when driving along the tree-lined roads of the peninsula hinterland (the interior areas where most of the wineries are located). The wineries are tucked away and often hard to see, so slow down, as you may have to make a sudden turn into a driveway.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe