Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove
Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove Review
Overlooking an established vineyard with vistas of rolling green hills, this place serves French-inspired cuisine. Chef Barry Davis prepares such creative dishes as Port Phillip Bay snapper fillet with confit fennel, kipfler potato, and mussel and saffron beurre blanc; the dish is best matched with a 2009 "The Eleven" Montalto Chardonnary. The menu changes daily, based on the local produce available. The wine list borrows from the best of the estate's vintages, as well as classic wines from other regions. The open-air Piazza café (open weekends) dishes up pizza, warming winter soups, and summer salads. If it's a nice day, you can picnic on the grounds from hampers prepared by the restaurant. Take a moment to check out the herb garden and admire the 17 sculptures on permanent display. If you're visiting from mid-February to late April you'll be able to see the entries in the Montalto Sculpture Prize and vote for your favorite. The expansive property also includes a natural wetlands and specially built boardwalks, so visitors have a chance of spotting more than 90 bird species.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe