Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Red Hill Estate
Red Hill Estate Review
This winery, which has won numerous medals for its Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Shiraz, has an equally impressive view. Not only are there sweeping vistas over the 22-acre vineyards, but the magnificent waters of Western Port Bay are spread out in the distance. On clear days you can see as far as Phillip Island and Wilsons Promontory as you wander around the gardens. The award-winning cuisine and fabulous floor-to-ceiling windows make Max's Restaurant ($$$, 03/5931–0177. No dinner Sun.–Thurs.) the perfect place to while away at least half the day. You might start with Max's own tasting plate of all-local ingredients, which includes ocean trout, lamb, kangaroo and a selection of local cheeses served with a glass of Red Hill Estate wine. For dessert, don't miss the rhubarb crumble with house-made apple and white peppercorn ice cream. Although it may be a little chilly, winter is a good time to visit the winery, as several events are staged, including the Barrel Art Show, the Winter Winery Week in June, and a huge Tuscan feast in July.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's