- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Melbourne Visitor Centre at Federation Square provides touring details in six languages. Large-screen videos and touch screens add to the experience, and permanent displays follow the city's history. Daily newspapers are available, and there's access to the Melbourne Web site (www.visitmelbourne.com). The center is open daily 9-6. The Best of Victoria Booking Service here can help if you're looking for accommodations. It also has cheap Internet access.
City Ambassadors—usually mature men and women easily spotted by their red uniforms—are volunteers for the City of Melbourne, and rove the central retail area providing directions and information for people needing their assistance (Monday-Saturday 10-4, Sunday noon-3).
A free bus route map is available from the Melbourne Visitor Centre.
Best of Victoria Booking Service (03/9928-0000 or 1300/780045.)
City of Melbourne Ambassadors Program (03/9658-9658.)
Melbourne Visitor Centre (Federation Sq., Flinders and Swanston Sts., City Center, Melbourne, VIC, 3000. 03/9658-9658. www.melbourne.vic.gov.au or www.thatsmelbourne.com.au.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1373* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip Down Under Answers
- $1029 & up -- 12-Nt. Australia & New Zealand on Celebrity American Express Travel
- $1999 & up -- Australia 5-Night Escape w/Barrier Reef Trip — $1,999 Air New Zealand Vacations