- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It often seems that every Melburnian heads to St. Kilda on Saturday night. The dozens of alfresco restaurants overflow into the streets, and the cafés and bars buzz with young fashionistas. The holiday atmosphere continues on Sunday with open-air markets and people enjoying the beach. The seaside suburb still has a Victorian-era atmosphere—the tree-lined promenade and the classic pier extending out into Port Phillip Bay are perfect for strolling and people-watching. The quaintly named St. Kilda Sea Baths (now a modern swimming pool and spa complex) are housed in a turn-of-the-20th-century building. Although no one wanted to live there in the 1970s and '80s, it is now a very smart address, and many visitors choose to stay in St. Kilda and hop on the tram for a short scenic ride into the city.
St. Kilda at a Glance
Elsewhere in Melbourne
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's