- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Old Melbourne Gaol Crime and Justice Experience
Old Melbourne Gaol Crime and Justice Experience Review
The city's first jail is a museum run by the Victorian branch of the National Trust. The bluestone building—rumored to be haunted—has three tiers of cells with catwalks around the upper levels. Its most famous inmate was the notorious bushranger Ned Kelly, who was hanged here in 1880. The Hangman's night tours (reservations essential) are a popular, if macabre, facet of Melbourne nightlife. Museum entry now includes "being arrested" next door at the City Watchhouse, where guides walk visitors through the experience of being incarcerated.
- Address: Russell between LaTrobe and Victoria Sts., City Center, Melbourne, VIC 3000 | Map It
- Phone: 03/8663–7228; 13–2849 (Ticketek - for night tours)
- Cost: A$22, night tours A$35
- Hours: Daily 9:30–5. Night tours Oct.–Mar., Mon., Wed., Fri., and Sat. at 8:30; at 7:30 Apr.–Sep.
- Website: www.oldmelbouregaol.com.au
- Location: City Center
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I can't remember what thread we talked about this so am starting up a new thread.
Now that we are closer to our trip I know much more about our schedule while down around Sydney. It's not ideal, but i Read more