- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Vancouver & Victoria
Old Melbourne Gaol Crime and Justice Experience
Old Melbourne Gaol Crime and Justice Experience Review
This bluestone building, the city's first jail, is now a museum that has three tiers of cells with catwalks around the upper levels and is rumored to be haunted. Its most famous inmate was the notorious bushranger Ned Kelly, who was hanged here in 1880. The Hangman's night tours (reservations essential) are a popular, if macabre, facet of Melbourne nightlife. Museum entry now includes "being arrested" next door at the City Watchhouse, where guides walk visitors through the experience of being incarcerated. It is run by the Victorian branch of the National Trust.
- Address: Russell between LaTrobe and Victoria Sts., City Center, Melbourne, VIC 3000 | Map It
- Phone: 03/8663–7228; 13–2849 (Ticketek - for night tours)
- Cost: A$22, night tours A$38
- Hours: Daily 9:30–5; Night tours: Wed., Fri. and Sat. at 7:30 pm
- Website: www.oldmelbournegaol.com.au
- Location: City Center
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
Day 5 - Bye-bye Hong Kong, hello OZ!
After checking in at the airport, we had about an hour or so to spare so after negotiating passports and security without too many problems, [DH is always one of those Read more
After spending 2 - 3 weeks in Australia in October, we have one extra week before we fly home to Canada. Read more