- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Arts Centre
The Arts Centre Review
Melbourne's most important cultural landmark is the venue for performances by the Australian Ballet, Opera Australia, Melbourne Theatre Company and Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. It encompasses Hamer Hall (formerly the Melbourne Concert Hall), which is due to reopen in 2012 after extensive refurbishment, the Arts Complex, the original National Gallery of Victoria, and the outdoor Sidney Myer Music Bowl. One-hour tours begin from the information desk at 11 am Monday through Saturday. On Sunday a 90-minute backstage tour (no children under 12) begins at 12:15 pm. At night, look for the center's spire, which creates a magical spectacle with brilliant fiber-optic cables.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
Hi guys, I'm starting to organize my wardrobe for 5 days in Sydney and 10 day cruise to Auckland on Regent Voyager in January. Read more