- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto
At a Glance
- spectacular, historic facade, great bar and club lounge
- slightly corporate feel, fee for in-room wifi
Check Rates from our Partners
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto Review
Unveiled late 2009 after a A$60 million upgrade, this luxury hotel occupies one of Melbourne's most historic sites. The impressive Gothic Revival Rialto Building was built in 1889 by William Pitt, a famous architect who designed many Melbourne landmarks, including the Princess Theatre on Spring Street. The new-looking hotel is the only five-star property in the financial quarter of central Melbourne, and is adjacent to the Rialto Observation Tower, Melbourne's tallest building until 2006. The renovation has retained the lovely façade; the grand internal atrium (overlooked by five stories of rooms) and the impressive Alluvial Restaurant are notable as well. Two lobby bars—Bluestone and Market Lane—offer more casual fare, the latter with a 100-martini cocktail list. Rooms are decorated in subdued tones of chocolate, cream, and tan, and equipped with the latest CD and DVD players and i-Pod docking stations; some rooms have coffee machines and rainwater showers. The most interesting rooms, with sloping walls and almost "Sleeping Beauty castle" windows are just below the hotel's two turrents at the front of the building.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more