- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Charcoal Lane Review
This young restaurant could be described as taking a leaf from celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's book, in that disadvantaged people are given an opportunity to transform their lives by gaining a traineeship in the restaurant business. Named after a song by acclaimed Aboriginal singer/songwriter Archie Roach, Charcoal Lane is a joint project between the charity Mission Australia and the Victorian Aboriginal Health Service. It is housed in the former health service community center, dubbed Charcoal Lane by the many Aboriginal people who for decades would drop in and swap stories and wisdom. The menu includes many Australian bushland ingredients, and the dishes have an Aboriginal influence. They might include starters of roasted marron (freshwater crayfish) fondue with angel hair, lemon myrtle and baby basil and hearty main courses such as kangaroo with broccoli puree, black trumpette (mushrooms), truffle gnocchi, and bitter chocolate.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1279* & up -- Fly to Australia from the West Coast, R/T — $1,279 Air New Zealand
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more
This was our fifth trip to Australia to teach songwriting workshops. Read more
Would love recommendations of tour companies or escorted tours to plan a 3 week trip to Australia & New Zealand. Read more