- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Seamstress Restaurant & Bar
Seamstress Restaurant & Bar Review
History and a prime Central Business District location are both draws for the Seamstress.This bar-restaurant occupies a heritage-listed four-story building that has housed an undergarment manufacturer, a 1930s sweat shop, and even a brothel and a Buddhist temple (but not at the same time). Asian dishes, in small, medium, and large portions, are designed to be shared. Everything is served in an atmospheric brick-walled first-floor dining area decorated with swaths of fabric, and sewing macines; the wine selection is stored in battered metal luggage lockers. Small dishes include pods of snake bean and golden sweet kumaro poached in wanton pastry, green pea and coriander puree. Favorite medium dishes include the sublime crisp-fried fish of the day—perhaps hapuka—marinated in soybean and garlic paste, and served with a salad of dried guava and aromatic herbs.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
And what a magnificent spectacle it is!
Sydney is hosting the International Fleet Review, with over 40 warships, smaller vessels and a stack of Tall Ships from all over the world in our sparkling Harbour. Read more
It's been a very long term and it's really cold at home so we decided to seek out a few days of warmth to recharge our batteries. Read more
I've just reserved a limo for four of us in January from the airport to the Four Seasons. Read more