- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Australian Rules Football
This fast, vigorous game, played between teams of 18, is one of four kinds of football Down Under. Aussies also play Rugby League, Rugby Union, and soccer, but Australian Rules, widely known as "footy," is the one to which Victoria, South Australia, the Top End, and Western Australia subscribe. It's the country's most popular spectator sport.
Despite its name, novice observers frequently ask the question: "What rules?" The ball can be kicked or punched in any direction, but never thrown. Players make spectacular leaps vying to catch a kicked ball before it touches the ground, for which they earn a free kick. The game is said to be at its finest in Melbourne.
Melbourne Cricket Ground. The Melbourne Cricket Ground is the prime venue for AFL games. Brunton Ave., Yarra Park, Melbourne, VIC. 03/9657-8867.
Ticketmaster7. Tickets for Australian Rules Football are available through Ticketek (MCG games) or Ticketmaster (Etihad Stadium) or at the playing fields. 1300-136122 (Ticketmaster or 13-2849 (Ticketek). www.ticketmaster.com.au.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe