- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Melbourne
Fabulous Markets: Melbourne has nearly a dozen major markets. The huge Queen Victoria Market (the Vic) has more than 1,000 stalls. Others include the "foodie heaven" Prahran Market, and St. Kilda's Sunday market, awash with pottery and all things arty.
International Cuisine: Melbourne's dining scene is a vast smorgasbord of cuisines: Chinese restaurants on Little Bourke Street are the equal of anything in Hong Kong. Richmond's Victoria Street convincingly incarnates Vietnam.
Sizzling Nightlife: Melbourne's nightlife centers on King Street and Flinders Lane, with dozens of retro-style bars and clubs. Crown Casino's two nightclubs and the numerous bars along Southgate add life to the city center.
Sports Galore: Melburnians, like Aussies in general, do love a good match. The Melbourne Cup horse race in November brings the entire city to a standstill. The same is true of Australian Rules Football.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe